Hello Welcome to Life Wide Open
The place to Live Extraordinarily.
Ever wonder why we feel so good after a boisterous Belly Laugh?
It’s because our body produces endorphins which lead to euphoric and calmness. Think about it have you ever felt stress during a belly laugh?
And: it brings us into the present moment. There is no room for ruminating about the past or the future.
We are simply laughing, playing or smiling in the moment.
What a great place to be.
Check out this week’s BNB to find out why belly laughs boost brainpower.
BRIEF NEUROSCIENCE BLAST
1.Brain derived neurotrophic factor is released during humour.
Existing neurons are strengthened and supported. This Protein also helps with the growth of new neurons and connections.
2. Due to the nature of neruoplasticity, the more we can weave humour and play into our lives, the more our life is positive and effective.
We move away from the brain’s desire to hold onto ineffective views in order to ‘protect’ us. Which opens up to new ways of thinking.
3. Humor releases oxytocin, the feel good hormone. It influences our learning and memory processes. It encourages a group bonding. As a bonus, oxytocin has anti-inflammatory properties which stimulates our immune system.
4. Given that humour and playfulness connects us to various parts of our brain, it initiates conditions for learning. It allows ‘mistakes’ to be part of the learning process.
Laugh. Live. Learn. Make it a regular habit.
Here are three ways to bring the power of humour and playfulness in your life.
1. Begin to search for the humour in any situation. This is not a bypass or avoidance of any thought, emotion action or situation. Rather a means to endure, cope and decrease anxiety. A reframe is possible.
2. Learn to laugh at your self. Keeps your inner critic at bay and enhances self-esteem.
3. Enjoy a belly laugh once-a-day. Gives your brain a break from ineffective thoughts and emotions.
It’s like a reset.
Belly laughs not only boost our brainpower, they encourage resilience and magnify the positive, effective experiences of life. Makes life a little more joyful.